Saturday, July 31, 2010

Boredom Busters-paper towels and dominoes

We have officially reached the 'I'm bored, there's nothing to do' part of summer.  Who am I kidding, they were saying that weeks ago, despite activities and rooms full of stuff to play with.  Personally, I think they are just bored with one another.

I try not to let TV, Xbox and the computer be the staples of their day.  The constant questions of 'can I play' and 'can I watch' drive me crazy.  I get a little bit nutty when the devices have been on about 45 minutes and I very impatiently yell 'TURN IT OFF'.  Several times.  Did I mention yelling?  Of course if they listened the first time I wouldn't have to, but after hearing 'but I just want to watch this last part', 'I just have to finish this battle', 'I have to get to this level or I can't save'..........I'm already past the be nice point.  Yep, I just move straight into the yelling bit.

Every once in a while, we come across an activity that keeps the kids occupied for longer than 15 minutes and they play cooperatively too.  Boredom buster #1?  Paper towel building.  The younger ones LOVE when the big ol' package of paper towels from Sam's Club comes into the house.  No sooner is it in the door and the outer plastic wrap has been removed, then this happens-
They were playing 'rescue the princess' and after Luke had her totally blocked in, he knocked them all down to 'rescue' her.  It was cute!
For several days after I usually find paper towels in bedrooms that have been made into animal forts, pyramids built to knock down and towers stacked to see who can stack the most.  Isn't it humorous when the cheap non toys provide the entertainment?!

Boredom buster #2-dominoes.  This was the first time this summer they played with them, but the interest lasted 20 plus minutes!!  I think I need to buy some of the heavier white type...and a whole lot more of them.  Then they could make some really big designs!
Luckily no one's creations got knocked over during the building process or else the cooperative part of the play would have been out the window!! 

No comments: