I do believe my day yesterday, at least the first part of it, fell under Murphy's Law. If it can go wrong, it will.
Once again, I was in the midst of trying to get the very last pictures taken of my preschoolers, so I took my laptop with me to work, figuring that after I got that last picture, I'd download it to Costco and be able to pick it up on the way home.
Mistake #1-Forgetting on Monday to take those pictures of the ONE child I missed. There's more to the story but too complicated to explain! And it would only make me feel better.....
Mistake #2-Thinking my plan would work. Hah! I could not get my computer to connect to the wireless at the school because no one knew the security key needed to access it. Only the pastor that has moved to Odessa does and he hasn't returned any messages. Iit's time to get a new wireless router folks.....
So, I had the brilliant idea to run to Costco while the kids were at recess being supervised by our extra staff. Sure, I'd get it downloaded then run back after school, pick it up and then go back to school (wanted to try to get it all finished so it could all be laminated by tomorrow). And this is when it all fell apart.
I pull into Costco, open my car door, hit the lock button on the door....then remember that the memory card is still in the camera under the seat...so I lean across the seat and as I do, the keys slip off my lap and in between the center console and the seat. I have the memory card in my hot little hand, I hop out, shut the door, take 2 steps and stop in my tracks. Oh, no....tell me the keys are in my purse, tell me!!! Nope, they are now securely locked in my car. Well crap...now what?!
I thought I perhaps could snag the keys on a hanger that I borrowed from the tire center, since I had left my window cracked. No luck. And then I went back to the tire center to ask if they had anything more sturdy i could use to try and punch the unlock button. One would think that an automotive center would be chalk full of nifty gadgets, but the guy looked at me and said all they had were the hangers. Alrighty then....on to plan number B. Call in AAA....and call my boss and embarrassingly admit I won't be back in time for the end of recess.......
So while I waited the allotted 30 minutes for the AAA guy to show up, I went inside to upload the 3 pictures I NEEDED, only find out their machines are broken. And they don't. know. when. they'll. be. fixed. Of course not. I also got a drink and a churro..hey, my boss told me to. Really, she said 'get yourself a coke and don't worry' and who am I to go against bosses orders?
At the end of the day, the photos have yet to be printed,so I had to then go to Sam's club and upload then there since as of 4pm the machines were still down. Thankfully the guy showed up in a timely fashion, took all of about 10 seconds to pop the lock for me and I now have keys. The hide a key needs to be not so hidden I think! That probably is the point a a HIDE a key, putting it somewhere that's not all that easy to get to, but realistically, there are places that I am not willing to lay on the ground.....a dirty parking lot would be one of them.
As I leaned up against my car and waited, I did have ONE gentleman stop and ask if I needed any help. He had been walking to his car and saw me the ONE time I attempted to look for the hide-a-key and then stopped as he drove out. I sheepishly told him no, but thank you......I just locked my keys in the car. That probably didn't do much for the whole 'women lock their keys in the car all the time' image!! Although this is only the 3rd time I have done it. Sadly, all three times have been within the past 18 months. Yikes! Anyhow, do you know how many people walked past me twice? At least 5 or 6. So ladies, don't count on the kindness of strangers OR an automotive department stocked with men, to help you out. Just call on 'Mr. I can pop a lock in 5 seconds flat and I work for AAA' guy. Kind of funny too that I think it was the same guy that came the last time I locked the keys in the car about a year ago. I almost said 'hey, you're the guy that helped me out before' but stopped myself because that would have put the nail in the coffin of stupidity. Sheesh!!
I sure hope today is better. I have to stop at Sam's club and pray the black and white wallets are the same size as Costco's. Or else it'll just me another Murphy's Law day in the making....................
1 comment:
Oh, well. At least you got a great blog post and a churro out of it!!!
Post a Comment