Friday, April 23, 2010

Flashback Friday: The house that built me

A couple of days ago, my mom said something to me that inspired this post.  She said 'do you realize that the boys are the same age now as you were when we bought that house?'  Hmmm, that is kind of interesting to reflect back on it.  I can distinctly remember walking back across the street to my elementary school and telling my 5th grade teacher that we bought a house and would be moving.  We moved after school was over and it felt like we were moving to Egypt.  We moved from the Indian School/Eubank area all the way north to Ventura and what now is Paseo Del Norte.  I think it was a dirt road back then........

We moved from a small 3 bedroom, washer and dryer in the 1 car garage house to a 4 bedroom, 2 living room, washer and dryer have their own room, 2 car garage house.  It felt huge!!!
I think the house was 7 years old when we bought it.  The yard was huge...well, the front yard was gigantic, just ask my dad who had to mow it for YEARS!  That was back when having green grass was a good thing! 

I think the kitchen is what actually sold the house.  My mom lovd the open feel to it and all the cabinetry. Which you can't see it all in this photo.  Now remember, this was 1986 folks.....this type of dark wood was IN STYLE...oh yeah baby....
Along with the totally awesome dark wood paneling.....
And check out our TV.  Yes, that little square thing that we had to get up and click the turn knob to change the channel!  And you know you had arrived when your bathroom was adorned with metallic embellished wall paper and disco ball hangy type lights.....
I tease about it now, but really, this house rocked when we moved in.  My parents renovated it when I was in high school.  They knocked out walls, added a room on to the back of the house, remodeled their bathroom, got rid of the dark wood paneling, upgrade the windows and completely changed the kitchen.  And yet it was still the same house.  It was the house that saw me through neighborhood girls picking on me, my first crush, my first car accident, followed immediately by falling for my first and only true love.  It provided safety and comfort when I was healing from a serious illness and was homebound for months. It gave the background for formal dance photos, senior concert photos, building snowmen in the backyard photos and engagement photos.  It hosted my birthday parties, sleepovers, my high school graduation party, my bridal shower, and baby shower.  It was where I lived until the day I got married.

And so, I look back with very fond memories on the house that built me.  Thank you Miranda Lambert.....

2 comments:

Anne said...

Love it! That is just like my parent's house- they've lived there since I was 6!! Every memory I have growing up was in that house. And it still is such a refuge from a bad fight, a bad day, or even just a bad cold.

There is just something about "home"! xoxo

The Wades said...

I'm jealous you have pictures of your house. My parents didn't take pictures of such stuff. Really neat post, Cari. I've said it before, I'll say it again--I love your flashbacks!