So last night we went to eat dinner with Bill's parents. They enjoy Chinese food and have a favorite restaurant they go to so we figured we'd tag along for a Chinese New Year celebration. I'm not a very adventurous eater by any stretch of the imagination and of course, neither are Luke and Laurel. At least they have age as an excuse though. Thankfully sweet n' sour chicken without the 'sweet n' sour' satisfies their dinner requirements. And rice of course.
Before the meal arrived, Bill's mom went around the table to take a chopstick vote....in other words, who wanted to starve while trying to feed themselves with chopsticks. I think we ended up with 6 out of ten saying yes. Laurel was one of them. I thought 'OK, we'll let her try, no big deal. She'll try it once, see that she won't get a darn thing to her mouth and then go back to using her fork.'
She totally surprised me when she picked them up and actually looked like she knew what she was doing-
Still thinking she'd give up pretty quickly, I prayed the people sitting behind us would avoid a rice shower as she gave it her all! And the results:

I think she ate more with her chopsticks than I have EVER managed to eat with chopsticks. Of course she did end up using the chopsticks as a skewer for the sweet n' sour chicken. Hey, if it works, then why not?! I'll eat with chopsticks the day it is acceptable to lift my plate from the table, hold it even with my mouth and then use the chopsticks to shovel it directly into my mouth. Yep. Efficiency, that's my motto.
2 comments:
Gotta love finding such talents in the young. And, she looks cute doing it!
Sounds like a fun outing.
Well, good for her! I don't even attempt chopsticks.
Post a Comment