Friday, February 12, 2010

Flashback Friday: 3 kids, snow and a broken wrist

The year: February 2004.
The house: Our old house.
The snow: So fun for our three little boys!
The broken wrist: All Daddy's fault!!

We had the best backyard at our old house. It had plenty of room for the kids to play, especially given that it was in a neighborhood and not where we live now. When it snowed there was PLENTY of room to play, play, play! Snow angels:

Mischief and slide plowing:
What cute little boys they were!
Snow man building. This snowman was enormous, and if I remember correctly, stood around for a number of weeks.

And after all of that came 'the incident'. Bill showed the boys how to 'jump' on one of our toboggan/sled type things. Of course he had no idea that what happened even would, but it did. Jacob took a running start, launched himself into the air, and firmly landed on the sled, which then shot out from under his feet. Ouch. I have no pictures of it either. For once! Anyhow, he cried and said his wrist hurt and because we were such concerned parents, we put him in the stroller and walked across the street to the golf course we lived a stone's throw away from. And Jacob stayed in the stroller. Clue number ONE!! Can you see him sitting in the background? And that orange thing was the culprit.......
Well, everyone else had fun.
And in our defense, even from a young age, Jacob tends to be a little more, well, how can I say this without offending him when he reads it......dramatic when it comes to injuries? He played just fine later in the day and showed no signs of it being broken!! In fact, it wasn't until a week or so later when he fell while playing that I thought 'OK, it should have been better by now had it been a sprain'. So we took him to the doctor and it turned out he had a buckle fracture of his wrist. The doctor was even surprised because during his exam she pushed on it and he didn't complain. There, see, we aren't THAT bad!!
Weird to look at these pictures and know that today, Luke and Laurel are the exact same age. I still have his little orange cast, too. One of these days it will probably only fit around his thumb!

2 comments:

Robin said...

You kept the cast?! I've not kept any of the 3 casts my boys have had, but I kept the cast I had in 3rd grade for years and I still have a piece of it-white plaster, not the fiberglass ones they have today.

The Wades said...

Forgot about the wrist. Bummer story. I guess it has a happy ending.

Cute pictures, my friend.