Now this is a sight we got to see every morning as we drove into the Disney property. Only bad thing? There is NO place to stop and get a picture of it. And if you are a scrapper, a blogger, a 'take lots of pictures so you never forget' kind of person....then that scenario just doesn't sit well! So, Bill took one as we drove in. Have to say it came out pretty good!
Once we got through the gates of Animal Kingdom...and we beat the tram....go us!.......we headed directly to the African Safari ride. Now, this park has lots of paths going this way and that and hills and each 'land' is set apart from other lands. In other words? Lots of walking.....lots. My brother told us to try and see the animals first thing, so that's what we did. And we were rewarded by practically walking right on to our Safari jeep. We did see lots of animals but actually got better pictures when we went right before the park closed, so keep reading!
This park offers great opportunities to meet a variety of characters. No princesses mind you, but plenty of other ones you don't typically find at MK. Lilo and Stitch, Chip and Dale, Safari Mickey and Minnie, and characters from the Lion King. We, however, went right to the same spot we went to 5 years ago and found our favorites-Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore. While waiting, the boys found a cast member to trade pins with. A hobby my brother got them into...thanks a lot.....
Eric was happy to see Eeyore, can you tell? I think Eeyore may have even managed a smile when he saw Eric wearing his Eeyore ears! These photo ops are so nice and even better? The cast members are VERY willing to take pictures for you with your own camera. So nice. Of course they take pictures with their cameras in hopes you'll purchase from Disney, but they are not pushy at all about it. Yay Disney!
After character bonding, we made our way to Dino Land. There was a fun roller coaster type ride, that while carrying you on the coaster track your car actually spins. Good times! Eric was in the process of finding out if he has the roller coaster genes. He hesitantly decided to go with Jacob and I -and hugged the lap bar the whole time! So silly......but he liked it in the end!
Now weather wise, we were very lucky this trip. It wasn't too hot, definitely not cold but just right. There was no rain forecast for the day so we left our ponchos back at the condo. Bad decision-never leave your ponchos at the condo...no matter what. We all decided to ride the Kilimanjaro Rapids ride. Basically the big round tire with 10 seats that carries you through rapids and down waterfalls. As we were waiting in line we saw people getting off totally dry....followed by people totally wet. I told Bill 'it's my birthday and if I get soaking wet I am NOT going to be happy(I was actually having a good hair day and in Forida, that's nearly unheard of, AND I was wearing a white shirt...HELLO)'. But I went on it anyway. Turns out I had nothing to fear. One of the 10 year olds took it ALL for me.
Poor Gregory-he was literally soaked from head to toe. Every last inch of dry clothing was wet. Oh, I felt so bad for him! There is nothing worse than wet jeans. Well, I guess having to actually wear wet jeans is the worst-and he did-for 3 more hours. Jacob kindly gave up his hoodie, so Gregory peeled off the wet shirt and spent the rest of the day in a hoodie while walking really weird.
I took Laurel's long sleeve shirt off that she was wearing under her dress so she had a dry shirt to put on after. We all got a little wet but we kept very quiet about it!
To give G a walking break, we went to see 'It's Tough To Be a Bug' 3-D show. Very fun and I have to say the glasses might actually be an improvement, whaddya think?
Bill and I showed off some 'buggitude' while waiting-
Like mother like daughter?
Since our last visit in 2004, Animal Kingdom has added a roller coaster. Well, a ride with big drops but no loops. Jacob and I were all set to go, we walked up the fast pass lane and in come running Gregory and Eric. Really? Gregory is NOT a roller coaster fan, in the slightest. And Eric, well he's still trying to figure it out. I guess they wanted to ride a ride with me for my birthday. I was so impressed with the both of them! I talked Eric through it the first time but he decided to sit it out when we turned around and rode it again. Instead he tried his skill at rock climbing-so did Luke and Laurel.
Great isn't it? I could have gotten kicked out of a Disney park on my birthday had my kids actually made it over the wall. What a shining moment of achievement-NOT! Oh well, I'm sure they weren't the first kids to get this far, nor will they be the last.
We made it!
Our next to last stop of the day was the Safari ride, where we saw some animals really close to the road! There were 3 rhinos that, had I really wanted to get kicked out of Disney and possibly lose an appendage, I probably could have nearly touched while leaning out the back of the jeep.
The lions were up and pacing too. We saw hippos and elephants, giraffes and other animals with fancy names I can't remember! If you go once and don't see enough animals, try it again as it's never the same ride twice.
The Lion King was a great show. Singing, dancing, comedy, beautiful costumes and large floats with Pumba, the lion, umm, what's his name-Simba, that's it!, a huge elephant and really tall giraffe. But most impressive were the talented singers and dancers that made it a really enjoyable show. We saw it twice that day!
To say that we made it out of a Disney park by 5pm sounds next to impossible, UNLESS of course the park is actually closing itself. Animal Kingdom at this time of year closes at 5pm and that worked out perfectly to go and enjoy a birthday dinner with kids that weren't completely wiped out. Close, but not completely. I chose Cracker Barrel-mmmm, I LOVE their bread-and it was right down the street from the condo!

The kids sang to me after dinner while we sat in the rocking chairs for a couple of minutes. What a fun day-a day that I don't remember many meltdowns occurring! Maybe I should have a birthday more often! And at Disney for sure. The cast members are so great-any of them that saw my 'It's my Birthday' pin stopped to wish me a happy birthday. I must have been wished a happy day 50+ times. Loved it!
1 comment:
You Are A DOLL!! Thanks for all the fun pic and info! Can't wait!!!
Post a Comment