Monday, January 12, 2009

In a rut-

I'm in a rut and it's one I get in more often then I'd like. It's a cooking rut.
What.......do I make.....for dinner....tonight......hmmmm.

When I do cook, I can cook decently (at least I'd like to think so). No one has ever complained about my cooking-well, except for the kids. Nor has anyone ever gotten sick from my cooking (breathe a sigh of relief Michelle). However, at a potluck, my dish will probably not be the one licked clean, unless desperation sets in. I'm not a 'gourmet' cook and I don't cook things with lots of weird ingredients-I know, weird can mean a whole lot of different things to a lot of different people, but let's just remember there are 5 children under the age of 10 in this house.

Yep, somedays my cooking creativity goes as far as chicken, butter and herb mashed potatoes, seasoned green beans and to-die-for bread rolls. Want to know my secret? The chicken is actually chicken patties from Sam's Club, the mashed potatoes are from Betty Crocker, the seasoned green beans-well, those are from Mr Jolly Green Giant himself. The to-die-for bread rolls? Sam's Club.....

And tonight, well since I've piddled away the afternoon while L and L sleep, reading blogs and writing this one, I think we'll have soup and grilled cheese...that'll put em' over the edge!

Do you have days like this? Or perhaps to be more truthful I should ask, do you have weeks like this...in succession? I keep telling myself to pull out my cookbook (s) and get out the favorite recipes and get on with it. Maybe tomorrow.......what are YOU having for dinner?

3 comments:

Robin said...

Yeah, this sounds familiar. But I really do not enjoy cooking. I know how and can make a nice meal when I want to. But I'd much rather be, knitting, scrapping, or blogging!

Tonight I have Bunco, so I'm eating whatever the hostess fixes and Greg's taking the boys out.

Guess this doesn't really help you. Sorry!

The Wades said...

Yes, Cari--I have YEARS like this! I don't feel overly inspired. Blah blah. REALLY?!! Time to cook again?? Didn't I just clean up the last meal. I think my real problem is menu planning. When I have got on kicks making a weekly menu and shopping accordingly, I actually enjoy it a whole lot more!!

Tonight we ate wonderful food supplied by more kind and generous people! Hey, you should have Bill go in for heart surgery. It gives you a couple weeks of no cooking at all!! ;) Love ya

Karen said...

I rarely cook also but love this website...check it out - who knows, you might get inspired!

www.menus4moms.com

Karen